Cryptocurrency mining at CES 2018?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by BrightnessOne, Jan 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BrightnessOne

BrightnessOne New Member

Hey all,

I have a buddy who is at CES 2018 right now, and I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any mining-related companies that are showing anything off at the event? He wants to meet as many people as he can while he's there so I figured I'd help him out a bit — wasn't able to find much info on the CES website.

Thanks!

2. Krita

Krita New Member

I'm sure more than a few companies would be exhibiting some mining rigs. But then I wouldn't say they would be mining enthusiasts but more likely just trying to capture the mining market. But he should mingle around and checkout people checking out those rigs and start a chat!

3. Zaytuna

Zaytuna New Member

A buddy of mine was at CES and said he found a lot of the conference to be about crypto. He however wasn't a huge crypto nut so didn't know too much, so he found it quite annoying as he went to see more of traditional hardware than mining rigs.

4. Mike

Mike New Member

I haven't seen any, other than Kodak having a mining rig on display and a coin offering announcement (the rig is a rental deal, so they are really just licensing their name to another company that has the biz model in place - it seems).

I'd be interested to hear if anyone sees anything specific, but I have not seen any mining-related stuff on display at all.

lonelyboy likes this.
  5. lonelyboy

lonelyboy Administrator Admin

I'm at CES right now actually. Here's what I saw:
    • Ledger — basically just showing off their products. They had several Ledger Nano S units on hand actually, so maybe they don't have as much of a shortage as they want you to think ;)
    • Inno3D — I didn't get a chance to see them, but they are showing one of their 7-8 GPU pre-built Ethereum/Monero mining rigs. Looks pretty good.
    • Kodak — As you mentioned, showing off a plain stupid mining contract & Bitcoin miner, and unveiled a cryptocurrency platform for some kind of photo service. Not exactly sure what it is tbh.
    • Some other small Chinese companies showing off things like hardware wallets (seemed too sketchy to trust, IMO — at least not with a full wallet of Bitcoin).
    Overall, pretty uneventful CES for cryptocurrency. But that's to be expected really — why would a ICO or a software company have a booth at CES? It's pretty much just hardware.

6. Mike

Mike New Member

4501A417-1B13-4A24-92B6-DF41F95BE1BC.jpeg BDCFFCB1-63AC-49F5-8ADC-5BE662AFC98A.jpeg Here are some pics from the inno3d stuff

7. lonelyboy

8. Mike

Mike New Member

I’m at CES. figured it would be cool to send you an update with pics!

9. lonelyboy

Oh awesome, if I were still there it would have been cool to meet up. Left yesterday! Enjoy the show!

10. Andrew Flinch

Andrew Flinch New Member

I like how a lot of these companies are trying to cash in on the whole mining craze and glorify it and simply bring it down to a level of "Look at all these GPU's making us money"

More companies need to educate on the other sides of cryptocurrency than just mining in my honest opinions.

On a side note though, would pay good money if you could somehow sneak out with that rig.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2018
  11. Krita

Krita New Member

Oh wow that is a very neat rig compared to the sloppy mining rigs I see, which are just bunched together GPU's. That looks very sleek and clean! How much would a setup like that cost?